Germantown Parkway Animal Hospital offers emergency veterinary services in the Cordova and greater Memphis area for cats, dogs and small pets.
What is considered an emergency?
If your pet has had an accident or is experiencing any of the following, please get them emergency care straight away.
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood in urine
- Clear signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Fractured or broken bones, severe lameness or inability to move leg(s)
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Difficulty breathing, continuous coughing/gagging, or choking
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with urinating or passing feces
- Injuries the eye(s)
- You know or suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; more than two episodes in 24-hours
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
What should you do if your pet needs emergency attention?
Most emergencies require immediate veterinary care, but first aid methods may help you stabilize your pet for transportation.
STABILIZING & TRANSPORTING DOGS: Take a deep breath and then slowly and calmly approach your dog. Kneel down and call his name. If the dog shows aggression back away and call for help. If, however, your dog seems passive, fashion a makeshift stretcher and gently lift him onto it supporting the neck and back areas.
STABILIZING & TRANSPORTING CATS: To prevent your cat from biting if he or she experiences pain as you stabilize, gently place a blanket or towel over the head. Slowly lift the cat and place him or her in an open-topped carrier or box, supporting the head and neck area carefully.
Once you feel confident and safe transporting your pet, immediately bring him to an emergency care facility. Ask a friend or family member to call the clinic so the staff knows to expect you and your pet.
Emergency Services We Offer
Working closely with our After Hours Emergency partners, the team at Germantown Animal Hospital can help you with virtually any pet emergency. You'll have access to state-of-the-art emergency care for your pets with hospitalization, specialized diagnostics, and complete surgical services.
After Hours Emergency Vets
For after hours emergencies, we recommend you go to one of our nearby partner hospitals.
Open Evenings, Weekends & Holidays
3767 Summer Avenue, Memphis | Map ›